Edited by: Kellie Jez
Great Card If
- Your business spends a lot of money on 1 or more of the card’s 6 bonus categories
- You want a card that earns transferable rewards
- You want a card that offers purchase protection and warranty protection
Don’t Get If
- You want a card with a lower or no annual fee
- You prefer a card that offers cash-back rewards
- The bonus categories don’t fit your business needs
Amex Business Gold Card — Is It Worth It?
The Amex Business Gold card is a perfect fit for small business owners who have significant spending in 1 or more of the card’s 6 bonus categories, and want a card that will help them rack up the points on those purchases.
Since the 4x point earnings apply to the first $150,000 in combined purchases from these 2 categories each calendar year, those who are able to meet this spend threshold can earn a whopping 600,000 Amex Membership Rewards points per year — worth $13,200 based on our valuations.
Further, the card is a great option for traveling business owners as it doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees (rates and fees).
Amex Business Gold Card Top Benefits
Pay With Points Airline Bonus
You can use this perk when you book first class or business class tickets with any airline, or towards any ticket with your selected airline from a list of qualifying airlines. Keep in mind that you’re limited to up to 250,000 points back per calendar year.
The Hotel Collection Access
When you book your hotel through Amex The Hotel Collection, you’ll get a $100 hotel credit to spend on qualifying dining, spa, and resort activities, plus a room upgrade when available.
Your card offers protections to keep you covered when things go wrong:
- Baggage Insurance: If your luggage is lost, damaged, or stolen, you can be covered up to $1,250 for carry-on baggage and up to $500 for checked baggage.
- Rental Car Insurance: Get secondary rental car coverage towards theft or damage to the vehicle when you pay for your rental with your card.
- Trip Delay Insurance: When you purchase a round-trip flight with your card and it is delayed by more than 12 hours, you can receive up to $500 in coverage towards eligible expenses.
- Extended Warranty Protection: This coverage adds an additional year of warranty coverage to your purchased items with coverage of 5 years or less.
- Purchase Protection: If an item purchased with your card is damaged or stolen within 90 days or purchase, you can receive up to $1,000 in coverage per occurrence, up to $50,000 per calendar year.
Best Ways To Earn and Redeem Your Amex Points
It’s no secret that Amex Membership Rewards points are some of the most valuable points out there. While the Amex Business Gold card is great at earning them, there are many other options out there for you to earn even more Membership Rewards points.
Once you’re sitting on a large balance of points, you’ll want to learn the best ways to redeem your Membership Rewards points so that you can make sure you’re getting great value out of each redemption.
If you’re hoping to redeem your points for first and business class airline tickets for pennies on the dollar, by far the best way to do that is by making strategic use of Amex travel transfer partners.
Alternative Cards to the Amex Business Gold Card
Ink Business Preferred® Credit Card
This card is a great choice for those looking for a more well-rounded option. While it doesn’t earn 4x points like the Amex Business Gold card, it does earn 3x points per $1 on up to $150,000 in combined purchases on travel, shipping, ad purchases made with social media sites or search engines, internet, cable, and phones services. You’ll earn those points on every category — instead of 2 with the Amex Business Gold card.
See how these cards compare: Amex Business Gold Card vs. Ink Business Preferred Card.
American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card
If you prefer a cash back credit card, then the Amex Blue Business Cash card could be a great option for you. The card offers 2% cash-back on all eligible purchases on up to $50,000 per calendar year, then 1%.
We’ve also compared the Amex Business Gold card with some other credit cards:
- Amex Business Gold Card vs American Express® Gold Card
- Amex Business Gold Card vs Business Green Rewards Card from American Express
- Amex Business Gold Card vs. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Amex Business Gold Card vs. The Plum Card® from American Express
- Amex Business Gold Card vs. Ink Business Premier℠ Credit Card
For rates and fees of the American Express® Business Gold Card, click here.
For rates and fees of The American Express Blue Business Cash™ Card, click here.
For rates and fees of The Business Platinum Card® from American Express, click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Disclaimer: Any comments listed below are not from the bank advertiser, nor have they been reviewed or approved by them. No responsibility will be taken by the bank advertiser for these comments.